Welcome to the Inspire Programme for Year 12 & 13!
This programme is now in its sixth year, and in Autumn 2021 we expanded the programme to Year 13, making it a two-year programme. Inspire 12 & 13 is delivered primarily online and encourages pupils to stretch themselves academically, as well as supporting them to make competitive applications to top universities like Oxford. The programme offers pupils the opportunity to:
- Explore academic their interests through taster lectures with top academics
- Strengthen their university application
- Receive advice and super-curricular opportunities
- Build confidence in their academic abilities
- Develop their skills to make a successful transition to university life
At the core of the programme are online Twilight Sessions which include a choice of pre-recorded academic taster lectures and interactive skills sessions on topics such as personal statements and managing your money at university. Pupils are provided with a choice of academic sessions in a range of subjects each month, allowing them to craft a bespoke programme of academic extension materials focused around their interests.
All pupils on Inspire 12 & 13 are also invited to attend a virtual summer school, which offers academic lectures, skills sessions and careers advice.
Parents, carers and teachers of Inspire 12 & 13 pupils will be invited to attend online webinars designed to support their pupils. Topics will include ‘The University of Oxford’, ‘The Oxford Application Process’ and ‘Interviews’.
In addition, Inspire 12 & 13 pupils will also be invited to apply for competitive spaces to the following events which run independently of Inspire 12 & 13, including:
- Residential summer schools at St John’s College which offer pupils a taster of student life at the University of Oxford
- Study Days and Subject Exploration Days which offer pupils a more in depth look at their subject, with a chance to meet tutors, students, and visit St John’s College
- The Inspire Research Project, where pupils will be guided in how to prepare and submit a research project proposal. Winning entries will be awarded book vouchers, and pupils will be invited to a research day at St John’s College.
Applications are now open to current Year 12s for Inspire 12 & 13 until 4pm, Monday 7th of February 2022.
Our theme for this year’s academic taster sessions is ‘Order in Our World’, through which pupils will explore how we structure our understanding of the word, and how order manifests outside of human control in unexpected ways, from a range of perspectives. Inspire 12 & 13 pupils will have the opportunity to select subjects which are of direct interest and relevance to them, from Biochemistry to Ancient History and Psychology to Geography, allowing them to explore the synergies between the Sciences, Arts, and Humanities.
Inspire 12 & 13 is open to pupils currently in Year 12 attending non-selective state schools in the St John’s College link regions: Brighton & Hove, Ealing, East Sussex, Harrow, Southampton, West Sussex, as well as areas in the Oxford for South East group (Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Kent, Medway, Portsmouth, Surrey).
The online Year 13 programme will focus on supporting pupils to apply to university, offer academic tasters and revision strategies, and prepare pupils to make the transition from school to higher education. This programme is designed to support pupils intending to study at any top university.
Chat to our students
Interested in finding out what life is like at Oxford? Our students are available to answer any questions you might have via The Ambassador Platform! You can chat to our Access Officer, our Admissions Officer, or just view answers to our Frequently Asked Questions. Click the button below to head straight there!