Welcome to the STEM strand of the Year 12 Inspire Programme 2019-20!
Here you can find virtual Twilight Sessions, Q&As and links to further reading that will help you delve deeper into the subjects we cover.
Biology (Ana Wallis)
- Richard Dawkins, The Selfish Gene
- Matt Ridley, GENOME: the autobiography of a species in 23 chapters
- Kevin Davies, The $1000 genome
I extremely enjoyed learning about the preparatory methods i.e origin activations, that our DNA carries out to enable successful DNA replication.
When contemplating the consequences of under-replication as stated in the lecture, I also thought about the presence of Okazaki fragments that are produced in lagging strands. What could be the potential consequences of unbound Okazaki fragments for cell division?
Neuroscience (Maria Ruesseler)
- ‘Separate visual pathways for perception and action’, by M.A. Goodale & A. D. Milner
- ‘Two visual systems reviewed’, by M.A. Goodale & A. D. Milner
- Sight Unseen: An Exploration of Conscious and Unconscious Vision, by M. A. Goodale (older versions might be more affordable)
- Phantoms in the Brain, by VS Ramachandran
Post-GCSE Study Skills
Welcome to the St John’s Post-GCSE Study Skills Session. Post-GCSE can be quite challenging, because there many new obstacles which you may face. For example, you may find you have a higher workload and a greater focus on independent study. This session is designed to help you develop your skills so that you can overcome these challenges, all while learning how to study with maximum effectiveness. You will have a chance to reflect on the learning style that suits you best, and how you can tailor your learning to work with that style.
In order to make the most of this session, you will need to download the Post-GCSE activity pack below, and either print it off or have it ready to edit on your computer. You’ll also need some pens, pencils and paper, and internet access so that you can look up a few websites while completing the activities.
Play through this video, pausing to complete activities and fill in the Activity pack as you go.