Welcome to the Inspire Programme for Years 10 and 11!
On this page you can find an overview of our Year 10 and 11 Inspire Programme. This is an online course focussing on one central question which is approached from a variety of subject viewpoints; each virtual class includes articles, quizzes, games and competitions. We also include information on making informed choices about A-level subjects, conducting research and effective note-taking, writing compelling academic essays, problem-solving and scientific analysis and revision skills. By taking part in the programme you will have an opportunity to follow your interests in depth, while developing study skills and confidence in your ability.
This programme is open to all Year 10 and 11 pupils from non-selective state schools. To register, you must complete the registration form, and your parent or guardian must also complete a consent form. These registration forms as well as full details about the course can be found on the St John’s website here.
Registration opens Monday 2 November 2020, and the registration deadline is Friday, 27 November 2020.
The 2020-21 programme will be themed around the question “Why does evolution matter?” This question will be addressed from a number of different subject perspectives in four virtual classes, which will be released in Spring Term 2021. The schedule for the programme is as follows:
Introduction to the course: Why does evolution matter?
Release date: 14 December 2020
Class 1: Biology and Darwinian evolution
Subjects covered: Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Earth Sciences, Maths
Release date: 4 January 2021
Competition deadline: 1 February 2021
Class 2: Evolution as a metaphor
Subjects covered: English, Linguistics, Literature, Modern Languages
Release date: 1 February 2021
Competition deadline: 1 March 2021
Class 3: Evolution, science and technology
Subjects covered: Engineering, Maths, Medicine, Physics, Psychology
Release date: 1 March 2021
Competition deadline: 29 March 2021
Class 4: Culture and history through the lens of evolution
Subjects covered: Classics, Economics, History, Music, Philosophy, Poetry, Theology
Release date: 29 March 2021
Competition deadline: 26 April 2021
Summer School 2021
In order to be eligible to participate in the Summer School, Year 11 pupils need to:
- Be registered for the Year 10 & 11 programme by 27 November 2020
- Participate in at least one competition during the course of the programme
- Complete a Summer School application form
The exact dates of the summer school will be announced here in due course, and further details will also be provided in the virtual class materials.
Current Year 10 pupils will be able to apply for a place on the 2022 Summer School.
- Inspire Virtual Summer Schools in reviewFollowing last week’s Virtual Summer Schools on the Inspire Programme, we are excited to announce the winners of last week’s Year 9 and Year 12 competitions!
- UK Parliament for Year 11: Day 2Today, you’ll be able to put your learning to the test with some interactive online games put together by the UK Parliament outreach team!
- Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolutionNothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution: During this lecture, you will examine evidence that supports this statement.