Virtual Summer School Assignment
Define a natural disaster and describe one way in which natural disasters have impacted on human civilisation, using an example. Depending on your interests, you may want to look at technologies that have been developed to help predict natural disasters, or art inspired by a natural disaster, or something else entirely.
We would recommend that you take around 30 minutes each day this week to work on researching and preparing your answer.
- Start with Oxplore: “Could you survive a natural disaster?” This interactive resource will help you to define natural disasters, learn about some natural disasters through history and to find ways of looking at natural disasters that are particularly interesting to you.
- You may want to incorporate what you learn through this week’s “What is the power of a volcano?” series – many of the things discussed in these articles will be applicable to other sorts of natural disasters too.
- It’s also a good idea to do some further research on your own – the Oxplore page has plenty of links to get you started, whatever your interests!
Answers should be no longer than 300 words, and are due at the end of the day on Friday 7 August.
- Complete your competition entry and make sure it follows the guidelines listed below
- Fill out the Competition Cover Sheet
- Email your entry and your cover sheet to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms & Conditions
- All students enrolled on the Pre-GCSE Inspire Programme are eligible to enter this competition.
- You must complete the Competition Cover Sheet and submit it along with your entry to email@example.com before the closing date. If we do not receive a completed cover sheet with your entry, we will NOT be able to consider the entry.
- The competition closes at 5pm on Friday 7 August 2020.
- The work you submit must be entirely your own, and should not exceed 300 words in length.
- Competition winners will be contacted via email about a week after the competition’s closing date. The following prizes will be awarded:
- 10 top entries will each receive a £10 Amazon gift voucher and have their answer listed on Inspire Digital